Sustainability Statement – A Sustainable Stay
“The team at Plas Estate and our guests appreciate the outstanding natural beauty of West Wales, and together, we aim to minimise our environmental impact so the area can be enjoyed by many generations to come”.
At Plas Llangoedmor Estate, the immediate environment contains a scenic mix of fields, gardens and woodland providing diverse habitats for a huge variety of birds and wildlife. The cottage is a mile from the peaceful Teifi Estuary, which is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and borders the Pembrokeshire National Park and Pembrokeshire Coast Path.
We can improve the quality and variety of our visitors’ holiday experiences for a sustainable holiday in Wales, by implementing our environmental policy, in the following ways:
- Reducing the impact of our business on the environment to help preserve the beauty of the National Park and surrounding areas.
- Introducing guests to locally made products, unique to the area, providing a sense of place and cultural appreciation of West Wales.
- Promoting businesses and schemes that aim to conserve the special features of the area.
In other words, there are many ways in which we can reduce our environmental impact. Below are just some of the areas in which action is being taken to reduce, reuse, recycle and remove.
We have completed an initial carbon usage survey of our properties and calculated the average carbon of a visit, (including as assumed average impact of guest travel to and from the property). At the end of the year, we calculate an approximate total impact and commit to offsetting. As we are fortunate to own land surrounding Plas Llangoedmor each year we plant new areas of trees to extend the original mixed deciduous woodland.
- Glass, paper, cans, plastic, and cardboard are recycled and rubbish left by guests is sorted to avoid contamination.
- To reduce the amount of packaging waste we have, we buy in bulk and use refills when possible.
- We purchase recycled products.
- To minimise our paper usage we use e-mail and telephone as much as we can.
- We have installed 2 Biomass boilers to produce heat through sustainably sourced wood pellets instead of fossil fuels.
- The Biomass boiler and white goods are serviced to ensure maximum efficiency and safety.
- The wood supplied for the log burner and pizza oven is from our land.
- Windows are double glazed with additional draft proofing.
- Shutters and blinds help reduce drafts and heat loss.
- Energy-efficient underfloor heating with adjustable temperature settings.
- Energy-efficient lighting.
- Electric charging point in a private car park next to the cottage, to encourage guests to use electric vehicles.
- Showers are available as a water-saving option to a bath.
- We encourage guests to use ‘economy’ settings on appliances.
- An ‘A’ grade dishwasher and washing machine have been fitted.
- Water is heated by a biomass boiler, instead of using gas or oil to produce heat, they combust sustainably sourced wood pellets.
Maintenance & Décor
- The cottage was renovated using environmentally friendly products including innovative paint, wherever possible.
- The property is maintained by local builders and tradesmen.
- Wherever possible we use local suppliers of raw materials to minimise the environmental impact of transportation.
- We recycle and upcycle furnishings and purchase Welsh antiques for our properties.
- We rotate art through our properties supporting local artists.
- We employ Splosh refillable products to clean our cottages, representing an eco-friendly cleaning solution that diminishes our dependence on single-use plastic cleaning bottles and products.
Wildlife & Surrounding Area
The immediate garden has thoughtful planting to encourage butterflies and birds into the garden and is maintained by a local gardener.
We encourage guests to observe and enjoy the wildlife of the walled garden and estate. Also, there are wildlife guide books and local walking maps provided.
Guests are encouraged to visit the Welsh Wildlife Centre and Teifi marshes to learn about the special local wildlife abundant in the Ceredigion countryside.
Guests are encouraged to use ‘Bay to Remember’ a local company that provides environmentally friendly sea-life watching trips.
In addition, we encourage responsible use of the Pembrokeshire coast path and Ceredigion coast path and the local beaches such as Poppit Sands, Llangrannog, Aberporth, Tresaith, Newport Sands etc
Visit Our Sustainable Holiday Cottage In West Wales
Looking for five star break in Wales? All of our Plas Estate properties have breath-taking views, fine art, luxury designed interiors, located close to the Cardigan Bay coastline and the Pembrokeshire National Park.
Plas Estate ticks all boxes and more! Nestled in the heart of the Welsh countryside, it’s the perfect spot to explore attractions in West Wales and enjoy a secluded relaxing break. To make a booking with us you can view availability and prices on our simple booking page.
To support our sustainable holiday in Wales ethos, our welcome packs include locally sourced products from other environmentally mindful businesses and we try to purchase products with little or no packaging.
Thank you to all of our guests for your consideration and support to minimise our impact on the environment.
Before arrival guests will be provided information on:
- Public transport
- Local walks (maps are available)
- Cycle hire facilities
- Environmentally aware businesses in Pembrokeshire & Ceredigion.
- Local products and attractions
- Information supporting the local RNLI
We encourage our guests to help by:
- Trying to conserve energy whenever possible.
- Closing shutters and blinds to keep warmth in the cottage on cold evenings.
- Using the correct recycling bags provided.
- Using local products and services.
- Monitor local wildlife, we have installed bird boxes with monitoring equipment.
- Taking part in local initiatives such as the Poppit Sands beach clean.
- Providing feedback.
A Warm West Wales Welcome
Come and stay at one of the Plas Estate properties and enjoy the stunning country location, nature filled skies and coastline that a sustainable holiday in West Wales offers. We also delight in sharing some of the local artisan foods on offer.
The ‘Welcome hamper’ in our cottages and ‘Welcome tray’ in our suites offer some wonderful Welsh treats. We’re always happy to share local knowledge of the best family attractions in West Wales, from those barely discovered private fishing coves to the fantastic waterparks and dolphin spotting trips
A week’s stay in West Wales is never long enough!